So today I decided to try to fix issue 358 of cucumber. I’m not even to the point of reproducing the bug yet. *sigh*
So I checked out the cucumber source and tried to install it, at which point rake decided to stop working since cucumber has rake as a development dependency and trying to install rake on windows with 1.9.2 breaks rake. Luckily, there was a quick workaround for that (deleting rake.gemspec).
*Then*, since I was trying to do
rake install_gem (which is the documented way to install cucumber from source and appears to be a Bundler task), I ran into the bug described in this ruby-bundler google group post wherein that task would quit with error message “Unable to determine name from existing gemspec. Use :name => ‘gemname’ in
#install_tasks to manually set it.” (and no, following the instructions in the error message doesn’t help). Arve in that post seems to have a patch to bundler to fix it, which I tried applying, but it didn’t fix it for me.
So then I just decided to try
rake -T in cucumber, and there are tasks
install that work and also seem to be Bundler tasks, even though install_gem doesn’t work.
I think I can finally try reproducing that cucumber bug now, and I’ll put looking into the bundler issue on my list for another day.
At least I’m learning a lot!